Wednesday 7 March 2012

Gathering

I've been slowly putting the shell of my Chantilly together. For the bodice gathers, I decided to try using three lines of basting. There was a post a while back on the Coletterie that showed the difference between two lines and three lines of basting and I wanted to see for myself :) For the lining, I only used two lines of stitching, and you can see the difference. Here's a very cropped zoomed in photo:
The gathers are much bigger and so not as even. So three lines of stitching certainly looks better, but it does take longer. The extra line of stitching takes more time, the actual gathering took longer as you're wrestling with three threads, and of course you have to unpick at least one line of stitching as it shows on the right side. I think the results are worth it though! :)
In knitting news, I may have acquired more yarn ;) One I bought, and one I was given as a thank you because Sarah from Spins and Needles asked me if I'd like to knit a shop sample!! It was very flattering to be asked :) She has just taken delivery of some Malabrigo Sock, so wanted a sample to show off in the shop. Sarah chose Damson by Ysolda Teague as she also stocks Whimsical Little Knits 2 that the pattern is in. I finished it last night and it's currently soaking ready to be blocked :) And as a thank you I got to choose a hank of the Malabrigo Sock for my very own! It's lovely yarn, so soft and the colours are beautiful. 
And another Zauberball. . . I think a yarn diet is in order! Though not a very strict one. I'm going to try and only buy yarn when I go to the monthly knit night. And I'll try and keep it to one projects worth.
Hmm, we'll see how long that lasts ;)
Ashley x

8 comments:

  1. Oooh sneaky peek at the chantilly! The fabric is really nice :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I haven't done 3 rows of gathers before - with something as gathered as this I may just try it! I agree the fabric looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I haven't tried 3 rows of gathers before - it definitely makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good. I bet your yarn pile is a beauty. I'd love to see it. Tour of your materials please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about taking one big photo of all of my current yarn, now I have too! :) There's not much (I don't think) but there's a few very pretty yarns :)

      Delete
  5. I am really impressed with your gathering!! Just lovely!! Did you hand stitch that? My sewing machine is really crap so I have to hand stitch gathers. Pain!

    Nice to find your blog. I'll be chewing your ear off when I come to making more
    Colette patterns!!

    Bundana
    X
    Http://www.bundana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...