Monday, 31 January 2011

I did a silly thing.

I let my heart choose the fabric for B5032 instead of using my head. I loved the colour, and ignored the fact that it was quite a heavy twill type fabric. The fact that its so thick makes the darts sit funny. I've tried making them shorter, longer and have ironed the heck out of them. I've come to the conclusion that the fabric is just too thick and heavy. Or at least I think that's what it is, I'll take some photo's tomorrow and post them. I've had way too hectic a day to be bothered to do it tonight. I'll also take photo's of the muslin too :)
That has made a crappy tiring day even more crappy. I'm annoyed at myself. My only consolation is that I might be able to salvage the skirt. But no promises. I think I've had enough of this pattern for now, and will get more fabric to make it another time. In the mean time, I'll try out the muslins for the Colette patterns so I can sew those up when the fabric gets here. I should have more success with those fabrics as they were in the dress making section, not the super-heavy-I-will-ruin-your-darts section (I actually bought this fabric from the market, so I even got to feel the weight and drapeyness of it, and still thought it was a good idea!)
Back tomorrow with photo's of those stupid darts.
Jellybean x


  1. Awww hun, just put it down to experience. xx

  2. What works really well with darts in thick fabric, is to shape the darts. I accidentally flatlined a bodice in a too thick fabric, and had what might be a similar issue. I shaped the darts to fit around my bust, and voila! Works perfectly. This is basically what I did...


Thanks for the comment!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...